The North American Guild of Beer Writers (NAGBW) will hold its 8th annual competition for writers, podcasters, bloggers, authors, and broadcasters. The awards honor the best coverage of beer and the brewing industry across 14 categories.
- Winners in each category receive a cash prize of $100 (first place), $50 (second place), or $25 (third place).
- New in 2022, each category will include an “Emerging Voice” award for a person who has covered the beer industry for three years or less. They will receive a $25 prize.
With its annual competition, the Guild aims to broaden the conversation about beer and brewing and raise awareness of quality journalism. A full list of rules can be found here.
- The 2022 NAGBW Awards will accept entries from Monday, June 27 to Sunday, July 31.
- Entries for the 2022 competition must have been published between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022.
Categories and entry forms
- Best Short Form Beer Writing
- Best Review
- Best Book
- Best Historical Writing
- Best Technical Writing
- Best Business Writing
- Best Beer and Food Writing
- Best Blog
- Best Podcast/Broadcast
- Best Travel Writing
- Best Commentary or Criticism
- Best Brewery Profile
- Best Local Reporting
- Best National/International Reporting
All writers, podcasters, bloggers, video producers, and others who produce content to cover beer are encouraged to enter. A writer doesn’t need to regularly cover the beer industry to submit their work.
- An individual may enter work or have work entered on their behalf in no more than four total categories.
- A single publication may submit no more than five entries per category.
Entry fees are required to submit work. All fees help cover the costs of the annual awards. Fees are prorated for members at $15 per entry. Non-members pay $30 per entry. You must be a current paid member of the NAGBW to get the discount. To join the NAGBW, please allow 24 hours for your application to be processed at nagbw.org.
Judging will occur in August, with winners announced in late September. Like every year, the NAGBW awards includes different judges overseeing each category, with multiple judges per category. In 2021, nearly 50 judges oversaw the competition, including more than half with almost 400 years of combined journalism experience. Additional judges from academia, communications/marketing, and the beer industry were all professionals of similar tenure.
ABOUT THE NORTH AMERICAN GUILD OF BEER WRITERS – The Guild has members from USA, Canada, and other countries around the world. Guild membership is open to all writers and content producers who cover beer and brewing, and industry and associate memberships are also available. For more information, visit http://www.nagbw.org.